Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Outdoor Art in the Snow

With a high in the upper 40s, most of this snow here will be melting today, and I'm already having regrets that we haven't enjoyed it enough--not enough sledding, not enough snowmen, not enough hikes and explorations and stomping around and playing. That's one of the ways that I know that I am definitely not completely sane, because we have enjoyed the snow plentifully, happily! I feel the same way every autumn, about our garden--not enough sniffing the flowers, not enough watching the basil grow, DEFINITELY not enough weeding!--and after every holiday (we didn't do an advent calendar this year, or gingerbread houses!!!).

Anyway...pack down the weirdness, and back to snow art.

To set up the art supplies for my girls, I poured colored sand into squeeze bottles, the kind with a pretty wide spout--


--and filled spritz bottles with liquid watercolor; the last time we did snow paint, I used food coloring and water, but I am vastly enamored with the vivid colors of liquid watercolors. I do need to buy more spray bottles, however, because the little spritz bottles that I usually use to make watercolor spray paint are difficult for kids in gloves to operate (although they do make the fingers of their gloves look bright like crayons!)

All the supplies that we used look great on snow:

sand



birdseed

liquid watercolor spray paint 

How fun is that?

In the break between snows (because of course there will be more snow this winter), I think that I'm going to try some better-late-than-never lasagna garden prep for the Spring.

There will be MORE flowers to sniff! MORE basil to watch! Definitely MORE weeding to do!

2 comments:

Raychel said...

Now that's cool! I really like how the sand looks on the snow. :)

Tammy said...

Beautiful! I will be featuring your post this week on the Kids Co-op at Housing A Forest. I would love for you to stop by and check it out!